Peer Support Jobs Where Passion & Purpose Come Together.
Find rewarding work in any of the peer support jobs we offer at Strength In Peers. Strengthen your own recovery, support the recovery efforts of our participants, and learn valuable skills with frequent training and educational opportunities. We are an equal opportunity employer proud to offer our employees:
- Competitive wages
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement plan
- Holidays and other paid time off
- Built-in wellness days to focus on your personal recovery
- Flexible schedules
- Short-term disability
- Flexible medical and dependent spending accounts
Peer Recovery Specialist (PRS) – PAID INTERNSHIP
Earn the 500 hours of peer support experience needed to qualify for the Virginia PRS Certification!
Paid Internship: $12.00/hour
20, 30, or 40 hours/week depending on your schedule for up to 500 total hours.
Applications for in-person placement at either our New Market or Harrisonburg office locations are accepted on a rolling basis.
* Candidates must successfully complete their 72-hour DBHDS PRS Training before applying for an internship position. Information on the PRS training and certification process can be found at www.vaprs.org.
** Basic computer proficiency and a valid driver’s license are required.
General Job Duties:
- Learn from peers in recovery and share experiences in order to help others.
- Get and give support that is based on respect and mutual agreement of what is helpful.
- Motivate others to move past fear and towards goals and aspirations.
- Help with the development of wellness plans and action plans.
- Assist with our Harm Reduction and Street Outreach programs to provide overdose reversal training, prevention education, and resource connection.
- Support evidence-based peer recovery groups.
- Provide resource connections and linkages to health and social services.
- Collect data and learn why data collection is important to the peer recovery field.
- Collaborate in a supportive environment that encourages multiple recovery pathways.
- Minimum of 1 year in active recovery from substance use, mental health, and/or trauma-related challenges.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have completed the Virginia DBHDS 72-hour PRS training.
- Background check required.
- Driver’s license required.
Apply for our Internship Position here: https://forms.gle/pRedKpmFAtSXgLVQ9
BOARD PRESIDENT – Volunteer opportunity
Strength In Peers seeks a new Board President. This is an unpaid, volunteer position. The Board President, and all Board members, serve 3-year terms and are eligible for up to two terms. The Board President partners with the Executive Director to plan and facilitate the activities of the Board, convenes Board meetings, and provides general oversight of board activities.
Responsibilities of the President:
- Communicate with the Executive Director to maintain a general understanding of the organization’s activities, challenges, opportunities, and needs.
- Facilitate strategic conversations to plan the goals, objectives, and activities of the Board in support of the organization.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to establish agendas for each Board meeting.
- Chair Board meetings and facilitate discussions to address issues and accomplish goals.
- Provide new Board members an orientation to the Board.
- Provide all Board members support in understanding their roles and responsibilities.
- Facilitate an annual review of the performance of the Executive Director.
- Ensure compliance with the organization’s bylaws and facilitate amendments when necessary.
Responsibilities of all Board Members:
- Attend monthly meetings via Zoom, currently scheduled for the 1st Wednesday of the month at 3:00 pm.
- Review and provide feedback on the organization’s annual budget and strategic plan.
- Review the organization’s quarterly financial statements and annual audits to monitor compliance with financial management policies and steer the organization towards financial sustainability.
- Participate in fundraising campaigns and events.
- Help the organization develop relationships and partnerships with stakeholders to achieve strategic goals and objectives.
- Serve as a sounding board for organizational opportunities, challenges and threats. Participate in decision-making regarding issues of significance to the organization.
- Review all incidence and grievance reports; participate in decision-making to address or respond to reports when necessary.
- Support efforts to strengthen the Board and recruit new members.
- Personal lived experience overcoming substance use, mental health, and/or trauma-related challenges, or supporting a family member who has struggled with those challenges.
- Believe that anyone can recover and thrive; support all recovery pathways.
- Community relations, communication, and group facilitation skills.
- Experience working in nonprofit management or serving on another nonprofit board preferred.
Strength In Peers is a nonprofit organization comprised of individuals who have personal lived experience overcoming substance use, mental health, and trauma-related challenges. Grounded in our lived experiences, our team advocates and offers support for individuals seeking recovery. More information can be found at www.StrengthInPeers.org.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Director@StrengthInPeers.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.