Peer Support Specialist
Strength In Peers is hiring a full-time Peer Support Specialist to serve its service area, including Harrisonburg, Rockingham County, Shenandoah County, and Page County. Some flexibility is allowed in scheduling hours worked. Training and coaching in peer support skills will be provided.
Peer Support Specialists function as role models, exhibiting competency in personal recovery and use of coping skills. They also serve as consumer advocates and provide information and support for peers receiving professional treatment. By inspiring hope that recovery and resiliency are achievable goals, Peer Support Specialists can assist others to achieve their personal recovery goals by promoting self-determination, personal responsibility, and the empowerment inherent in self-directed recovery.
Peer Support Specialists assist their peers in the following: articulating their goals for recovery, learning and practicing new skills, helping them monitor their progress, assisting them in their treatment, modeling effective coping techniques and self-help strategies based on the specialist’s own recovery experience, and supporting them in advocating for themselves to obtain effective services.
- Provide peer support services to individuals with substance abuse and/or mental health issues.
- Provide participants assistance with navigating community services and applying for public benefits.
- Provide participants transportation to counseling and other important appointments.
- Facilitate peer support groups.
- Collect and report data on activities and participant outcomes.
- Provide back-up support for the drop-in recovery center.
- Be a recovering consumer of substance abuse and/or mental health services.
- Believe that recovery is possible for people who have substance abuse and/or mental health issues.
- Able to communicate effectively interpersonally in one-on-one and small group settings.
- Able to inspire confidence and motivate individuals.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of community services a plus.
- Commitment to develop computer and data management skill and knowledge.
- Reliable transportation to drive participants to-and-from appointments.