Strength In Peers is an organization of individuals who have experience overcoming substance abuse and mental health problems. We provide peer support to others who are working toward their recovery.
News & Events
August 10, 2017
Do you work with at-risk individuals and families?
Interested in learning more about the agencies in your area?
The Harrisonburg-Rockingham-Page Reentry Council is sponsoring an In-Service Training & Networking Fair, Friday, September 15, 2017 from 9:00AM – 3:00PM at Lucy Simms Center in Harrisonburg, VA.
To register your staff and volunteers to attend: Complete the registration form. Send your registration to: 733 E. Market St., Suite A, Harrisonburg, VA 22801. Or email your information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register by Monday, September 4, 2017!
- FREE admission, lunch will be provided for those who register.
Who Should Attend?
- Open to professionals, volunteers, students, and community members interested in learning more about community agencies and their services.
To Represent Your Organization at the Resource Fair
- Reserve your organization’s table today by completing the registration form.
- Table registration is FREE!
- Friday, September 15, 2017, 9:00AM – 3:00PM
- 8:30am – Coffee/table set-up
- 9:00am – Event begins; Introduction and Keynote Presentation (Dr. Allison Sampson-Jackson)
- 12:30pm-1pm – Lunch Break
- 1:00pm-3:00pm – Resource Fair
- Lucy Simms Center, 620 Simms Avenue, Harrisonburg, VA 22802
How to register
- Fill out the registration form. Have questions or comments? Call our office at 540-217-0869.
Allison Sampson-Jackson, Ph.D., LCSW, LICSW, CSOTP will deliver the event keynote presentation. She will discuss implementing trauma-informed care.
“Next time someone gives you the honor of walking their pain story in front of you, answer that call with connection.”
-Allison Sampson-Jackson, Ph.D.
Dr. Sampson-Jackson is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and a Certified Sex Offender Practitioner in the State of Virginia and a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker in the District of Columbia. Her clinical practice and research has focused on advancing effective trauma informed treatment practices for persons who experience significant conduct related behavior problems. Learn more about her work by visiting her website.
Check out her TEDxRVA talk “A Call to Connection: Making Childhood Trauma Personal” below:
July 19, 2017
As part of Peer Perspectives‘ “Spotlight” blog series, we interviewed Communications Coordinator, Antonio Ruiz.
Ruiz recently joined the Strength In Peers’ Outreach Team in July 2017. His work involves managing and developing content for the organization’s events, social media, and website as well as collecting marketing analytics. Ruiz will also begin developing the monthly e-Newsletter beginning August 2017.